The 2014 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix race was held in Melbourne this weekend. The Melbourne suburb of Albert Park transformed as it prepared for motor sport driving elite from all around the world. You could also feel the coming event in other parts of the city.
We went to see the preparations in Albert Lake Park, which is just four kilometers from where we live. A few days before the race you could still walk around in the whole area and follow the formula track by foot or car.
Albert Park was already well prepared for the Formula 1 Grand Prix. The only spectators by that time were the white seagulls on the grass, among them a tiny parrot baby.
On Thursday 13 March it started and you could already hear the formulas speeding on the track. Some roads were closed and changes in tram services were introduced to allow all the hundreds of thousands of spectators access to participate in the four action-packed days.
In addition to the formulas there is a rich variety of other attractions and entertainment ranging from Aussie music to skateboarding legends.
We decided to get tickets to the biggest of the different events available, the Australian Grand Prix race day on Sunday.
Pictures of the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix, 2014
The spectators were ready hours before, and there were many other things to entertain them.
There was high wire motorcycling, skateboarding, an air show, old racing cars, face painting, music and many other things.
The Grand Prix
The Grand Prix itself took two hours, and it was very intensive. It’s hard to follow the cars at close distance as they pass with such a high speed that you hardly see them.
The winner of the Grand Prix 2014
The winner of the Australian Grand Prix 2014 is Nico Rosberg!
But for us, this Sunday in Melbourne was a great experience, seeing how much the drivers work and how fast they really drive.
You wouldn’t imagine how much is happening around a Formula one Grand Prix, just watching it on television.
To get updated information on Formula Grand Prix in Australia read here about the coming Australian Grand Prix events.
My other Posts on Melbourne
- If you want to know more about Melbourne see my post Sightseeing in Melbourne.
- You can see penguins and possums right in Melbourne: Melbourne Evening Nature Tour
- How does it feel to return to Melbourne and start living there again? Settling in Melbourne
- A post about Melbourne winter: Yarra River walk in Melbourne
Day Trips from Melbourne:
- It’s a must to make a trip to the Great Ocean Road. Read my post Touring the Great Ocean Road.
- Phillip Island is another popular day trip from Melbourne: Phillip Island from Melbourne
- And your third day trip should go to the scenic area of Yarra Valley. Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges from Melbourne
Driving from Melbourne to Sydney:
- I have written three posts that cover the driving route Melbourne to Sydney along the coast. The route description begins with this post: Melbourne to Sydney: to Wilsons Promontory